Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Jackass

Filed under D for danger, I thought I'd share the limit of my reckless youth. (It really wasn't reckless at all but makes me sound more macho!)

Around 14 years old, in 19 eighty-something, some bright spark at school told us how to make yourself pass-out(without alchohol). It involves breathing heavy and other stuff which I will not share because I don't want copycat fainters out there.
The first time I did it was in my bedroom. I was amazed it worked. I did the magic thing that I can't say and ....'bonk' on the floor.
I did it several times and set up my tape recorder to time how long I was out for. EXTREMELY stupid because I could have hit my head on any number of sharp objects in my room.
I timed 40 seconds I seem to remember which fascinated me because it seemed like I came around instantly.
At one point while playing back the tape I heard my mum shout upstairs "Are you alright?"
Poor mum must have kept hearing me crash on the floor. "Stop banging" she would shout. Probably scared to think what a teenage boy would be up to in the solitude of his room, she never investigated more than that when I answered "I'm OK".
I stopped this pointless foolery the next day when, after asking a friend to catch me, I fell forward instead of back and landed flat on my face.
I came around with a cut lip and a splitting headache. All afternoon I had concussion and I have never, ever done it again.
There are many things we have done when we were young that we look back on and think "wow, that was stupid".
I think that is one of the scariest parts of parenthood... our own childhood being mirrored.


1 comment:

boabhan sith said...

I'll have to admit to that myself.

LOL...
My friends and I used to take turns running around the block naked at slumber parties.
Thank God, we never got caught or hit by a car.

I am really worried about what things my daughter will get into when she gets older.