Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I'm 'avin a fag.

The powers-that-be in this country are talking of banning us from sucking on a fag in public.
I can hear my American friends choking on their Root Beer.
I know that having a fag in your mouth in public would get you executed in some states.
Is Great Britain that liberal that they allow fag puffing in the open?
Don't worry I am talking about smoking.
The great debate rumbles on about whether people can smoke in pubs and clubs around the country.

The langauge difference is very interesting.
If Americans were to compliment an English woman on her tight fanny, meaning a fit backside, they would be in for an interesting conversation.
A fanny over here has a WHOLE different meaning.
You also use the word 'pants' a lot which cracks us up because pants are underwear over here.

We are indeed, two nations divided by a common language.

Happy Slapping

Tom Cruise was attacked by a water filled microphone whilst being filmed for an interview over here.

There is a worrying craze going around Britain where kids attack people, slapping, hitting or humiliating them and filming it on their mobile phone videos.

What is the difference with the attack on Tom Cruise and the so called 'Happy Slappers' that 'society' is up-in-arms about?

Remember Tom. 'Ridicule is nothing to be scared of'.

9 comments:

LoRi~fLoWer said...

Smoking is a horrible, filthy, expensive habit. I do it only occasionally. ;O)

Kim said...

Thanks for the birthday kiss! And I agree with you on the language difference. I read a lot of british chick lit, and at first I had no clue what a few things were. Like a jumper, what the heck is a jumper?? And snogging, I now know what snogging is, but two years ago? Not a clue.

Unknown said...

Indigo, a jumper is a sweater. You wouldn't get the joke - what do you get if you cross a kangaroo with a sheep.....?A woolly jumper.
Any other questions then feel free to ask.

bella said...

Very true... many years ago I worked in my uncle's pizzaria and a couple of guys came in and asked if we had subs. I just looked at them. Now I know a sub is a wedge. To be honest, neither word is very descriptive and neither is the word sandwich... but hey... this could go on all day!

Lori... I just keep following you around :)

Other Brother said...

i'll bite. what's a fanny in the UK? also, here in texas we like to call pants britches. sometimes smokes are called squares.

Unknown said...

Hey Brother, I can only tell you that a fanny in Britain is in the same area as the US fanny but more frontal.*snigger*

Rob said...

darn Brits... can't speaky engrish!! LOL

The Smoking Redhead said...

Glad brother asked so I didn't have to.
;)

bella said...

Reading a book and one character asked another for a FAG and I knew what it was thanks to you!! What's the book? English as a Second Language. American girl going for her Masters Degree in England. Cannot tell if I love it yet, but it's holding onto my interest to keep reading. Definitely a girly book though. Thought of this post when I read that line last night, so I had to share.