Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Day One...

Why does the British public have to pay so much for EVERYTHING? We have taxes on petrol(gas) and cigarettes that make them prohibitively high.

For our American cousins who may read this, we are paying £3.21 a US Gallon. That’s around $5.89 a gallon. We also pay $9.50 for 20 Malboro cigarettes. Whilst I understand the Government is trying to stop us driving unnecessarily and stop us killing ourselves, equally unnecessarily, what I don’t understand is why food ,music and other goods don’t seem to adhere to currency conversions.


Example: Creative Zen Touch MP3 player –
Walmart USA = $228
Argos UK = £179 = $328
Difference = $100

Why are we paying $100 more for exactly the same product?

I have found the Zen Touch at Amazon.co.uk for only $47 more at $275 but the same company with a .com suffix is still only $224. Why do Amazon charge their British customers fifty dollars more than their American ones?


Amazon USA = $224
Amazon UK = £150 = $275
Difference = $51
The answer has to be that the British accept paying these prices and continue buying the products. Americans won’t put up prices like that.
I haven’t got time, nor the will, to go through everything but from Big Macs to flight tickets, the British are being screwed. We are bent over and taking it willingly.




"Premier League, you're 'aving a larf..."


Congratulations to my beloved West Ham Utd. We are back where we should be and maybe now I'll get to hear how they are doing without having to scour the sports pages for details. Outside the Premier League really is a wilderness. I knew all about what Crystal Palace or Fulham were up to last year but West Ham, like Leeds Utd had become forgotten giants.

There were some weeks when I didn't even know they had played midweek. Sky have made the top teams so elite and forget about the rest. Barnsley, Wolves, Bradford, Derby- all teams that shouldn't have been Premier League in my opinion (watch this space) have been hung out to dry because they have left the 'big boys club'.

Thank heaven we are back. I guess I have a whole season of watching us keep our heads above the water. Come on you Irons!

No comments: