Friday, August 05, 2005

Idio-whataty-what?

For Heather who tagged me for "Name 5 personal idiosyncrasies"

I had a hard time thinking of any. The best I came up with were:

1. Read the last word in a book before starting it....It gives me something to aim for.

2. I hate being late for anything. I will always arrive extra early just to make sure I am there.

3. I don't 'do' horror films. It enables me to go into darkened cellars without thinking the worst.

4. I sneeze and cannot control myself from saying 'Jeeezus' straight afterwards. A form of Torretts sneezing.

5. I have a lucky cent I found on the floor when I proposed to my Sooz. I hold onto it when her plane is landing to keep her safe. I also try to get on top of the car park at Gatwick to watch the plane land.

Not sure if they all count as idiosyncrasies but it's all I could come up with.



It's the football(soccer) season again tomorrow. YAY! It's the last time I am going to give the s-word as a definition to football. It's a game played with feet and a ball, hence football, get over it America. :) Nobody..yes that is NObody, calls it soccer over here. There is a Sky TV progamme called 'Soccer AM' but that is just the title. They never, ever call it soccer.

Soccer, the word, derives from 'Association Football' as opposed to 'Rugby Football'. They both got the abbreviation 'soccer' and 'rugger', respectively.
Since Rugby Football became just Rugby then Football took the name for itself. After all, it had the name first. Rugby was started when some public school oik picked up the football and ran with it. He invented a whole game from cheating.

I will continue to call it Football, without the (soccer) definiton, in this blog. If I am referring to 'egg throwing' then I will call it American Football.

Anyway..football is back tomorrow but my beloved West Ham Utd will not be playing until next weekend because....... We are in the Premier League again!!! BIG YAY!! Premier League starts next week.
America, you don't get promotion and relegation in your leagues. Imagine though if the 49'ers or Cowboys were de-moted to a college division and had to fight to get back into the NFL. That is the joy I have. West Ham are back in the big time.

The only problem is that we will struggle this season and could be heading straight back to the wilderness we came from... But for now we are all equal and we are not even bottom in alphabetical order. Lowly Wigan came up with us, lets hope they continue to stay below us where they belong.

11 comments:

BlazngScarlet said...

Jeez, don't get your panties in a twist!!! We 'mericans know the difference between Football and football!!!

Unknown said...

Sorry Blaze...panties all untwisted.
I just hate the word soccer with a passion... ooo slight twist happening again.

Kathleen said...

I have to agree with Blaze here. Not all Americans are stupid - just 51% of them. ;-)

And Dear God, thank heavens, we don't have promotion/demotion in major sports leagues here. The Detroit Lions would perpetually be playing college teams and getting their asses (sorry, arses) handed to them.

Unknown said...

Not all British people are superior to Americans..but 99% think they are!

It sickens me how Brits think Americans are dumb. I can assure you I am not like that and didn't mean it to sound that way. Sorry :(

I must post what the British (sterotypical) view of Americans is... you'd be shocked ...or maybe not

BlazngScarlet said...

Just havin' a wee bit o' fun with ya doll!

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I dated a Brit. I loved going over to his Folks house, they really cracked my shit up! His Dad taught me the finer points of football, and a love for kidney pie, lemon curd, malteasers, and a few other British specialties!

Ah .... good times! I would KILL (almost)for some malteasers!!!

I think it would be quite interesting to read what the majority of Brits think about the gawdawful "Colonials"!!!!
And NO, I do not see you as being THAT way, so don't apologize!

Soccer is a gawdawful term isn't it?

The Smoking Redhead said...

I am an early bird too, hate being late.

LOL, at football and soccer. I personally don't follow either, sorry lamb chop. I do like me some Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots but I'm really all about the baseball honey, and specifically the Red Sox.

Now try explaining THAT game.

boabhan sith said...

LOL...

Mentle note: Use the word soccer as often as possible when commenting here.

LOL...just kidding Big man.

:)

Calvin said...

congrats on the Hammers getting back to the Premier League..

i've become americanised.. i call footer soccer now.. :-(

Cindy-Lou said...

I find it hilarious that you say jesus after you sneeze.

Blonde said...

Found you through a day in the life...NZ Paul.

Nice pic for HNT!

Glad that i found you.Though I am
American, I am hardly supid. Nor do I think I am superior.

Happy Football Season!

Peong said...

Welcome back to the premier league!

As a Yank with plenty of family in more UK influenced countries, I am constantly explaining that when I say I play football, I don't mean with touchdowns and shoulder pads. I feel your pain.