Friday, September 16, 2005

Dead-What?

My poll has been running all week and the results suprised me.

I asked did you think that there was too much swearing in Deadwood.



The result was

F**k no ~ 36%
It's authentic for the era ~ 9%
It's a bit strong ~ 9%
It's a disgrace ~ 0%
Dead What? ~ 45%

I was suprised by the amount who had not heard of Deadwood, the HBO TV series. I was also amazed that no-one objected strongly to the language used. Maybe the 45% who haven't seen it would be offended, who knows.

Deadwood is a series in it's second season and is set in the days of Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane, in the town of Deadwood. A place that did (and does) exist. It was a den of lawlessness and prospecters fighting for land.

The swearing in Deadwood is very authentic for the times. The whores and chancers use 'f**k' as a punctuation mark and the C-word appears very frequently. Both these words are used in their true definition and their offensive form too.

I find the fact that *almost* every other word is a swear word makes the characters difficult to understand. They are using 'old west' ways of talking and sometimes complicated political talk which would be difficult to follow in the first place. The swearing just confuses the talk even more. You almost don't notice it because you are trying to work out what the sentance means.

Anyway check out the official website if you want to know more. I actually really like it and think that Ian 'Lovejoy' McShane is awesome as Al Swearanger the owner of the Jem, a bar and whorehouse.



Thankyou everyone for your kind words yesterday. It's great to know someone cares. The corner of the BlogWorld that visits my site is full of wonderful, kind and thoughtful people. The kind of people that are 'friends'. I regard you all as friends, I hope you don't mind.

Have a great weekend..stay hard.


No comments: