Friday, September 02, 2005

Catastrophe


It's a disaster that brings home to us how fragile our existance is. Floods and famine happen all around the world. We see them reported but our natural instinct is to distance ourselves from them.

The devastation 'Katrina' has inflicted on the Louisianna area has brought home the sheer helplessness the poorest areas of the world suffer during crisis.

America, probably the richest nation on earth, has made a 'pigs-ear' of providing relief to the flood victims. If the US cannot get aid to a disaster area to help the suffering then how must the people of Bangladesh and other flood damaged areas cope?

Mending New Orleans will be a huge task but the immediate concern is for the stranded and starving survivors. It seems that the rescue attempt has been too slow. President Bush, who I am no fan of, has been slow to react and receives criticism. You have to ask though- how could such a massive operation, with all the complexity involved, be more efficient under any other President.


The only answer would be better planning. San Fransico and surrounding areas are just waiting for 'The Big One' to hit them. I do hope there is a plan in place that will prove more effective than this when the time comes.


For now, let us give thanks for what we have in our lives.
I am thirsty so I will get some water. I am hungry so I will go get some food.
I don't know who I thank for this but since Monday I have been all too aware how lucky I am.







2 comments:

Dream Owl said...

My husband has family down in New Orleans. They made it out okay, but they probably don't have anywhere to go back to.

Kathleen said...

Amen.

And it's sad that there was a tsunami in southeast Asia around the same time as Katrina and unlike the December tsunami they probably won't get the aid they need because we're busy with our own disaster this time.