Wednesday, July 20, 2005

St Andrews 2005


Beautiful

I had a great time in St Andrews. The town is attached to the golf course, physically and culturally. It was absolutely buzzing. The pubs were packed, the weather was fantastic and the golf was exciting up to a point.

Highlights as follows:

* Jack Nicklaus making his farewell appearance. He was greeted and treated like a true champion. Amazing scenes.
* Two minute silence for bomb victims impeccably held and very stirring. There was not a dry eye on the Old Course.
* Seeing Tiger Woods give a lesson to all competitors and wipe the floor with them. Colin Montgomerie, the home favourite, gave a glimmer of hope for the Scots but was mauled by the Tiger in the end.


Close to Jack..

Tiger Woods has an entourage that follows him around. They are unnecessary (in Britain) and provoke feelings that Woods is 'up himself'. Every time I see Tiger interviewed I am very impressed with his humble and sporting attitude but his 'on course' presence does him no favours.
The monkeys that follow Woods around stare into the crowd and call out "no cameras" and "phone cameras away please". It is an insult to think that the golfing public are not aware of the etiquette in the game. We know that to take a picture as he is addressing the ball could put him off. To snap him while he is approaching the green would not hurt anyone.
The only press cameras I saw all week were all following Tiger. Their cameras make a shutter clicking noise. Two of them stood next to me on the 17th and discussed that it was a great shame Woods was not on the road. "What a great picture that would have been". The press are willing him to fail for their copy, the fans want him to do well but wish he would make himself more accessible.
He could learn a lot from Fred Couples. Couples is a fun guy around the course and always seems to be enjoying himself.

Fred Couples...always smiling

I am not a great Tiger Woods fan but admire his talent and realise a living legend when I see one.



















Moody me.... could have smiled.



4 comments:

Osbasso said...

Damn you! One of my unattainable dreams is to get to St. Andrew's. It sits just below my ultimate dream to get to the Master's, which always falls within a few days of my birthday. My brother-in-law, who's a club pro, has been there about 4 or 5 times. He flashes his PGA card, and he just walks in. No lines, no tickets. Bastard!

boabhan sith said...

wait...that was you?

LOL...You were talking about Tiger Woods and then BAM! You put a picture of yourself up? LOL...I knew it wasn't Tiger.

Don't mind me...just rambling today.

Rob said...

Yeah Tiger is awesome. But you have to remember its like that movie Happy Gilmore, lots of fans will come watch and have no clue about golf etiquette.

I don't like the way the press acts around celebrities either.

KayCee said...

Aw shoulda smiled! Still cute though ;)