Monday, July 25, 2005

Shoot to kill

To see the police shoot someone in England is a very rare occurance. Our police do not use guns. Only a few are armed.
To think that a suicide bomber is pushed to the ground and shot 5 times is a little disturbing, yet understandable. You cannot risk the fact he will blow himself up.

Unfortunately for Brazilian, Jean Charles de Menezes (pictured), it is the wrong time to run away from an armed police officer. The country is very jittery at the moment and de Menezes only crime was that he had a large coat on. The police took this as a sign he was carrying explosives.
He ran away when confronted by a plain clothes officer brandishing a gun. I think at these sensitive times I would have run away from a man in London pointing a gun at me.
When they caught him they pushed him to the floor and shot him 5 times in the head. The first shot to the mouth to make sure his spinal cord was severed so he couldn't set off any explosives.

This horrific act has shocked Britain. The police followed him from his house. Watched him get on a bus without stopping him. (Why not fear him blowing up the bus?) They then challenged him before he entered a tube station. He ran because a man who was not dressed as a policeman pointed a gun at him. He made it into a train before the gunmen caught him and executed him.

The police are asking to be armed as in the USA. A spokesman said on Friday that "in this time of terror, I can see no reason why the police are not armed"....... err John Charles de Menzes's family will give you a reason.

We do not have the death penalty here because an innocent person could get killed by mistake. Why do we now have a shoot to kill policy which is equally unsafe to innocents?





7 comments:

BlazngScarlet said...

I was completely shocked, and horrified when I read about the 5 shots to the head.

My heart goes out that man's family.

Sad .....

The Smoking Redhead said...

I too was shocked that he was shot instead of being detained. Even more so to find out later that he had no connection with the terrorist bombers.

I do however understand that the police in Britain are probably on very high alert. Emotions and fear are running high at the moment.

Unfortunately that fact provides no comfort to the family left behind.

A tragedy for all involved. My heart and prayers go out to everyone living in fear right now due to the acts of overzealous, unconscionable terrorists. Stay safe!

boabhan sith said...

I can't believe it.

I hope that there aren't any more attacks...anywhere.

That's just scary stuff.

R said...

Last I checked wearing a large coat was not a crime...anywhere.

Shoot first, ask later...that will be the new motto as terrorism increases. Everyone be on your best behaviour.

Oddgirl said...

When 9/11 happened the first man to be killed for wearing a turban owned a gas station down the street from our apartment. I can't tell you how sad and appalled I felt...hearing about this is just as disturbing...my heart goes out to all of the UK.

Rob said...

Very scary stuff! I'm shocked and I hope they at least put a leash on that officer.

Kathleen said...

Very sad, indeed. I just wish the US would find compassion and intelligence and outlaw the death penalty as well. Did you ever see the film "Let Him Have It?" I highly recommend it, if you have not. The movie theatre was dead silent when it was over and all left w/o talking.