Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Birthing-day

It's my sons birthday in 4 days time. Luke will be 13. Oh how the time goes. Since becoming a father I have realised many things. One of them is that the birthday is a celebration for the parents as well as the child. It is the 13th anniversary of the day that changed our lives.

It struck me that when I celebrate my birthday, my mum is also remembering the wonder, pain and joy that came into her life that day.
With this in mind I buy mum flowers on my birthday to say thank you and appreciate that she is having happy thoughts of a day that I *obviously* can't remember.
I have bought flowers for the mother of my children on their birthdays because they have been too young to appreciate this sentiment. Although we are no longer married I will still buy them for Luke to give to her but I think he is old enough now to be told how we, his parents, remember his birth with great fondness and it is as much our day as his.
I urge all of you who read this to remember your parents on your birthdays and think what memories they are having while you dig into your cake.

3 comments:

boabhan sith said...

Wow, what a great idea.

I hope your son has a wonderful birthday!

The Smoking Redhead said...

What an amazingly sweet idea, I'm very impressed and am going to do this on my next birthday.

Thanks for the inspiration.

:)

Kathleen said...

Nice thought. I rag about my mom but I hope to remember to do this in a couple of Fridays! Mom deserves flowers for putting up with me.