Friday, October 07, 2005

It's ironic that it's not ironic.. I think?

* This post is all my own work, except for the picture. I have since seen the same views expressed elsewhere. I have not used their thoughts. I wrote this before I read them *

It always bothered me that Alanis Morrisette's song, Ironic, has lyrics that fail to define irony.
Ok,ok.. so it's pedantic and petty to worry too much about this sort of thing but, hell... what's a blog for if you can't reveal your pettiness now and again?

My Poll was running all week asking -
Isn't it Ironic, don't you think?
You answered in your tens

Yes - 33%
No - 17%
Wha? - 50%









Ironic humour. She isn't really dead.

"Irony is a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."
The New Oxford English Dictionary


An old man turned ninety-eight,
He won the lottery and died the next day.
Sad, but not ironic... He was 98 for goodness sake and a lottery win could easily send him over the edge.

It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
Flys drop into drink all the time..not ironic

It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
That's just plain bad luck.

And isn't it Ironic...dontcha think?
Err...no


It's like rain on your wedding day
May be ironic if you were a meteorologist and booked the date of the wedding especially because you didn't think it would rain.

It's a free ride when you've already paid
Now that is just annoying..

It's the good advice that you just didn't take
.. and that is bad judgement.

Who would've thought... it figures
Wha?


Mr. Play-It-Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice.."
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think?
Well seeing as you ask again, I personally say... no.
Apart from the obvious criticism of the lyrics over the "..isn't this nice" line. I mean, I think I would have a word that begins with 'Sh' and ends with 'hit' running through my mind at that point.
But, hey.. apart from that, he expected it to happen because he was afraid to fly.. therefore, not ironic.



A traffic jam when you're already late
Once again bad luck but not irony

A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
Ooo, this might be ironic but there are no-smoking signs everywhere now-a-days. Smokers expect to be stopped from smoking and so maybe not ironic. Close... but no cigar *cringe*

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife
DO... ME... A... FAVOUR... She's wasting my time now.

It's meeting the man of your dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
A man of your dreams is bound to be attractive to other women so therefore probably not single.. This is not irony, it is once again, unlucky.





It's just one of those little things that annoys me for no real reason other than it annoys me. A bit like the fact matches in The Davis Cup tennis tournaments are called 'Rubbers'.
That annoys the HELL out of me but I can see it is wasted energy.

I need to chill...
Get me my woman....have her washed and sent to my tent.





Random Shite:
Hey Mama - Kanye West


No comments: