Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Eurovision

We have strange traditions in Britain. Pantomime is one which, if I had time to explain would knock your socks off America. The other is sitting down in front of the TV every year to watch the absurdity that is - The Eurovision Song Contest.

It is a parade of European countries in ridiculous oufits with mad dance routines and retro-rock and pop melodies all performing to an audience Europe-wide who then tele-vote for the best. You can't vote for your own country.

This year the highlights included a middle-aged white rapper with Britney Spears look-a-likes prancing around for the UK.
A hellish Rock act of monsters from Finland who eventually won.
A bunch of suits from Latvia yelling ' we are the Winners of Eurovision, vote for us' as part of their lyrics with little regard for a tune.
My favourites were the Germans who had a nice little Country song and were dressed like Cowboys and reminded me of Chevy Chase, Steve Martin et al in the Three Amigos...... I did mention this was the German entry....Bizarre.


This is Daz Sampson, the UK's entry. Call me mad but I quite like it..... It's also strangely arousing.


No comments: