Friday, November 18, 2005

My Favourite Job 1986 - 2006

In the grand scheme of things then my pain today is small.

In the "one-day-we-will-all-be-dust-and-the-Earth-will-crash-into-the-Sun" kinda thinking, then leaving a place where you have spent 20 years of your adult life is slightly insignificant, but....

I have been making spectacles in a small laboratory in Canterbury, Kent. I am being moved to the Opticians practice where I will have to meet 'the Public' and work with other people. I have grown used to working on my own-some. It's gonna be a drag.

There are some pictures of my lair on this post. I know it looks a mess but it's MY mess and to my eyes, a work of art. Click on the pictures for a closer look.

The place is more like a 'bachelor pad' in the way I have been able to put posters up and keep my 'junk' lieing around.

I have spent more waking hours there than any other place on Earth. There are notches on the wall where I measured my children's height after they visit me at work from time to time.




The radio has played a big part in my working day.
I started in 1986 listening to Simon Mayo on Radio 1's breakfast show with a crackly AM reception (in those days Radio 1 was on AM) and finished in 2006 listening to him on Radio Five over the internet.
Simon Bates and 'Our Tune' was the next show on and Steve Wright made the afternoon's a joy.
Then Danny Baker on Radio Five was the entertainment de la jour. He left and I found Tommy Boyd on Talk Radio (later Talk Sport) to be great fun.
In the last year or so I have been entertained by The Muser's on Dallas Sport Radio- The Ticket over the Internet.


I have seen many things happen in my life here.
I have been married.
I've seen my boss have two more children to add to his oldest.
I have passed my driving test and bought a car.
I have been to college day-release courses and qualified to make glasses.
I have had two beautiful children.
I have seen a total eclipse of the sun.
I heard 9/11 happen here over the radio
I have broken my jaw(I must do that story one day) and my leg.
I have had a very dark day here which I will not tell.
I 've had an affair here.
I have been divorced and set up home with Sooz
My children have been to stay here during days off school.
I have slept here several times after my affair and some rows.


I look around me now and I can feel tears welling up as I think back to how things were when I started here.
I can tell you that Time Travel is possible... in your mind.

Memory should be classed as an emotion.


BTW. The long awaited Rugby match between New Zealand(All Blacks) and England(World Champions..yep Paul, still the best in the World. Official) is this weekend.

No comments: