Monday, November 14, 2005

I will miss the Old Place

I have been told that the place where I have worked for 20 years is moving.
Now.... the Big Dipper is not a guy who likes change and so this whole "20 years and now for something completely different" vibe is not floating my boat..... In fact it is down-right depressing me.

My work venue is changing, my work description is changing, the whole working-on-your-own thing that I love is changing.... Did I mention I hate change?

Worst of all.... I have to meet and greet the 'General Public'. Aaaarrrrrgghh!!!

I am also moving away from Canterbury, the city I have seen blossom from a 1970's dump to a fantastic tourist and shopping area.
I have seen so many changes in this place since childhood. But the little workshop I work in has hardly changed at all. *sigh*.
I'm going to miss Canterbury. *big sigh*

Here is a picture tour for y'all.
Americans beware... there are buildings pictured here older than your Nation.

In the shadow of Canterbury Catherdral is my 'lair'


When I see this I know I am nearly at work.

The 'Crooked House' on the corner of the road I work in.





The Sun Hotel has been a jewellers for more than the 20 years I have worked here. There was an armed robbery in the 90's. I seem to remember that the owner was shot.


Canterbury Cathedral Gate.


Ye Olde Starbucks, next to the Catherdral Gate. It used to be ye olde Pizzaland and before that I think it was an empty shell with shabby curtains covering the windows. It was also a hotel and still has some rooms available today.


Canterbury is full of small alleys. This is alongside Gap and has several places to eat along it.


Canterbury's newest resturant. Cafe Rouge, opened last month. Notice the temporary Rememberance monument wear you can place a Poppy cross to remember those fallen in the wars.


The 'Golden Archs' sit in the 1970's part of town. The horrible flat roofed buildings will be rebuilt one day.



The ClockTower is part of a church which was destroyed by bombs during WW2. The Luftwaffe would fly back from having bombed London and empty the bombs they had left on parts of Kent. The Tower is the only bit of history left standing here.


Now we are close to the newest part of the city. this is the department store Fenwicks, formerly Ricemans. This is the start of the Whitefriars shopping complex. The whole area was part of an archaelogical dig before it was built. Because of Canterbury's historic past then the law states that any new developments must have an excavation before it can continue. Several discoveries were made over the course of a couple of years. Find out more here

The new Whitefriars shopping centre.



In a bizarre twist of irony, we have Virgin nextdoor to Ann Summers sex shop.



The Marlowe Arcade


Heading back into the High Street, the cathedral can be seen from most places.



Moving back to the cathedral gates, lunchtime is over. I will not get to see these sights next week.

I will miss the old place.

There have been some great, great memories here. *sigh*

I will be very busy this week so I will post when I can. Sorry that it has been a long post but I hope you enjoyed some of the sights. I have more images and will share them later.

No comments: